Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS query

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryCracker

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
GB
How do you set up DNS so you can view your own website which uses the same domain name as your server. (Domain=example.com, website to view=
Thanks for any help

Working under the assumption that you have an ISP which is acting as your internet nameserver...you'll need to add a entry into your local DNS server's forward lookup zone.

I made the mistake of following MS advice and naming my server the same as my website. "Domain=example.com and website I just created a host file entry mapping to my IP address of the web and that seems to work fine. A little troublesome, but a qucik fix.

Hello,

I've got a problem along the same lines.

We've named our PDC the same as our website.

The authoritative DNS server for the domain is one of our external servers.

I have the problem that our PDC is continually making outbound DNS traffic to try and update the external DNS server for its domain. The external server rejects the request as it is authoritative.

Anybody know how to stop this?

Thanks!

Don't have an answer to the first question, but I do have an answer to the first one. It's my experience that you don't need the record at all. It just gets in the way, for the very reason you're talking about. We don't have a in our DNS, which means that our DNS server treats (where example.com is our domain and is our website) as an external address and routes to an external DNS server. Of course, this is true only if someone else is hosting your website, which is the way it is for us. Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

We're doing the same thing except it's our website with the external servers on location at the isp's site. That way we have to domain names, one for the internal dns servers and the externals have a different name. Works nice because we're using the isp's dns servers. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act."
G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936); British author.

Dronealone,

You can always block this traffic at your firewall, but you needed to make your internal DNS server authorative for your internal domain. (Which is why you don't want to use mycorp.com when installing AD, you should always use mycorp.local...) Your external server is only to provide name records to the public, not keep track of which pc has what IP address in your offices. The only way to change this is DCpromo your AD server(s) and when you set them back up, make sure that first one knows its authorative for the AD domain.

You could change the external DNS server so that it accepts your updates, but this is a bad idea for security reasons. This gives the bad guys too much info about your network.

Alex

I just setup our new server and named it mydomain.local and I have a registered domain called mydomain.net with our ISP. What is my next step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back