Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problems after applying SP4

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrannon

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2001
US
I applied SP4 to one of our DC's and it unregistered it's self from DNS. Thus all replication stopped. I have no ideas how this happened, and was wondering if anyone else had ever seen this. Once I removed SP4, the server again had a host record and would resolve to DNS.

Any Ideas about this?

I don't know if this helps, but when I installed SP4, from SP2, I had a problem with both NTFRS failing and a loss of the SYSVOL share. I had to: 1. stop the netlogon service; 2. edit a registry key setting to restore the share to the SYSVOL directory; and 3. restart the netlogon service. The NTFRS was throwing events that the root directory had moved (which it hadn't). I followed the instructions in the event viewer about creating an empty text file named NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT in the location specified. Once the service was restarted, it noticed the "new" location and fixed itself. I think these two problems were related, but I can't tell you how. I am suspicious that the log file for NTFRS needed more space (it is larger after SP2) than I had available in the partition. I created more room before making the changes to the NTFRS area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back