Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

25degc

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
GB
I have a problem with DNS which show itself in the event log of clients (event 1000: Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722). ). There are 2 DC's in the domain both running DNS. On one of them (172.16.1.1) when running netdiag I get the following:
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '172.16.1.1'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server '172.16.1.2' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.

The server 172.16.1.1 has DNS pointing at itself then at 172.16.1.2 (the other DC/DNS server in the domain).

I have tried removing DNS from server 172.16.1.1 and deleting everything in the DNS subdirectory and running DCPromo to remove AD. Re-promoting the server and reinstalling DNS has made no difference. The DNS entries for the server 172.16.1.1 look absolutely fine to me - no different from the entries for the server 172.16.1.2 which reports no problems.

What else can I try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back