Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

t2data

Instructor
Jan 21, 2002
CA
I have seen a couple systems where Explorer, Outlook and DOS could not resolve an name, but worked fine if you eneter the IP address.
Not Knowing exactly how Windows works to do this, I tried replacing the wsock file with no results.
Both systems had been fully virus scanned...

Is anyone familioar with this or aware of a quick fix? I'd like to know how to do this without resorting to a format and reinstall....

thx

In the \Windows folder should be two files. HOSTS and HOSTS.SAM
The hosts.sam is a sample file. The hosts file can help you resollve IP address to NetBIOS name resolutions if there is not a DNS server present. So to do this edit the HOSTS file (Not the one with the .sam) and add the ip address and computer name to it for each PC.

192.168.1.1 computername

when you are finished save the file (be careful not to save it with any extensions. this file does not ahve an extension after it) now you should be able to access a networked PC via its share name.

Let me know if you need help. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back