Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrysib

Programmer
Oct 21, 2007
RO
I have fedora core 6 on a dns server who is also a web and a mail server. the problem is that the website does`t work and I only can send e-mails. the name of the nameserver is server.domeniu.ro.
in the file domeniu.ro.hosts it is writen:

$ttl 38400
domeniu.ro. IN SOA domeniu.ro. postmaster.domeniu.ro. (
38400 )
domeniu.ro. IN NS server.domeniu.ro.
domeniu.ro. IN MX 5 mail
www IN A ip.pu.bl.ic
server IN A ip.pu.bl.ic
mail IN A ip.pu.bl.ic

the file domeniu. ro.zone is like this:

$ttl 38400
@ IN SOA domeniu.ro. root.domeniu.ro. (
38400 )
IN NS server.domeniu.ro.
IN MX 10 mail
#default.domeniu.ro. IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr -all"
domeniu.ro IN A ip.pri.va.te
server IN A ip.pri.va.te
www IN A ip.pri.va.te
mail IN A ip.pri.va.te

named.conf is like this:

options {
directory "/etc";
pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
};

zone "." {
type hint;
file "/etc/db.cache";
};

key rndc-key {
algorithm hmac-md5;
secret " };

controls {
inet 127.0.0.1 port 953 allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { rndc-key; };
};

zone "domeniu.ro" {
type master;
file "/var/named/domeniu.ro.hosts";
};

hots file is like this:
ip.pri.va.te server.domeniu.ro localhost

where is the mistake?

Without really digging in and comparing this to other files it looks right from a first look - other than all the comments are removed and I'm used to seeing a date followed by a revision number for the serial number, but anything should work for that...

Do you have your web server configured properly? If you are using Apache for example there is usually an httpd.conf file and a Vhosts.conf file that need to be tweaked at the very least so it listens on the IP address you have set up for the server....

I would assume that if your mail is flowing the DNS server is working and instead focus on the webserver. If you have Apache there is an Apache forum on here and there are several recent examples of configurations on there...

Are you actually USING the DNS server? That means it is configured in /etc/resolv.conf on the internal client?
This can be the web/dns server itself, like 127.0.0.1.

I solved.
the "named" service was stoped, and in /etc/hosts. I put the line ip.pu.bl.ic domeniu.ro mail.domeniu.ro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back