Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrkano

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2004
US
I have a workstation on our network that had a static IP address of 192.168.1.55. I changed it to 192.168.1.61.

If I ping -a 192.168.1.61 it replies and gives me the correct computer name (ABC-1234). But if I ping ABC-1234, it times out and indicates its trying to ping 192.168.1.55.

I checked DNS on my PDC and BDC and the new IP address (192.168.1.61) is registered for its name.

So, why is this happening, why is it returning the old IP address when I try to ping by its name?

I did the ipconfig /flushdns and tried pinging ABC-1234 and it still comes back with the wrong IP address, 192.168.1.55.

I tried pinging the FQDN and got the same result. I did the NSLOOKUP and it's showing that it is querying my DNS Server which also happens to be my WINS Server. I looked up that PC name in DNS under Reverse Lookup Zones and it shows the correct IP. I looked it up in WINS and it doesn't even show there. I'm not sure what to do now....should I flush the DNS on the PDC or BDC?

How should I go about doing this?

You should make sure there aren't duplicate entries in your DNS zone for that workstation. Then make sure you have scavanging set-up properly to have your DNS server scavange old DNS records on a regular basis. Lastly (although I don't think this will help) clear the cache on all your DNS servers.

Also, check the event logs to see if your DNS is having any issues, like with replication.

Good luck.

Does it happen on all machines? It may be worth trying to flush your cache as well.

Also, check it is not in your hosts file as well.

it is querying my DNS Server which also happens to be my WINS Server

Did you check your WINS server to see if the old record is still there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back