Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdognz

Technical User
Jul 31, 2002
NZ
I have just set up a new W2003 server and installed AD and DNS.
When i go to client pc the first time and join the domain it works .. authenticates using admin password and the client pc joins the domain.

I change domain security policy password security settings only to "password must meet complexity" to disabled
I create a new OU in AD and create 1 user.

I restart the client PC and try to login using the user i just created. Says it cant find the domain?

I login locally and cannot ping the server.

Where are i going wrong?

I have tried uninstall and reinstall AD & DNS and it does the same thing at the same point.

How do you have DNS configured on the client? Are you using DHCP? Do you have your DNS servers listed in the DHCP scope?

How do you have forwarders configured on your DNS server?

If you run IPCONFIG /ALL from a command line do you see the right DNS server (your internal DNS and not an ISP DNS) being configured?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

thanks for your post .....checked my DHCP and guess what .. it wasnt turned on even though io had configured correctly. All running sweetly now.
Stupid newbie error lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back