Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problem with NON-FQDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetotaro

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2003
US
I setup a domain with a non-FQDN, leaving off the .com. Now we have our own mail server but mail sent out resolves to server1.ourdomain, so servers that check the DNS cannot and consider the email as spam. Any ideas without starting the domain from scratch?

Here is an example of an email that bounces back.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

dallas@mydomain.com
unrouteable mail domain "mydomain.com"

I take it your are running Exchange 2000? Have you looked at your receipient policy? Why do you need to start the domain from scratch? Are you running any spam software? Need more info to help.

yes it is exchange 2000, thats why i posted it here in exchange 2000 forum and not the ms word forum;) "need more info has become such a canned relpy"

an active directory domain cannot be renamed so to change the domain name i would have to start from scratch. that is elementary active directory stuff. the error i am getting is from the receiving server not mine so it has nothing to do with my end running spam software or any recipient policies.

as stated in the original post, the problem is that email going out is missing the .com at the end because when i setup the domain i did not use the full fqdn. some admins check the senders ip against the dns for their domain, if there isnt a match it is considered spam and returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back