Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS problem windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidov291

Technical User
Jun 28, 2005
NL
A very strange thing. I have a windows 2000 server with DNS enabled. I can ping the server itself bij its winns designation ping server. And I can ping it bij the FQDN ping server.domain.com. The thing is I want to have an additional domain controller and it keeps coming up telling me it can't find the domain possibly due to a dns problem. I really am at a loss here and have read all the white papers and instructions by microsoft just to see what I ma doing wrong. Any ideas any one? I believe it may be DNS related but what could it be?

Oh and alos I have a problem with licensing saying the domain does not exist. What in the DNS configuration have I done wrong

Are you sure the secondary machine's TCP/IP settings are set correctly to point to this primary DNS server. Is your DNS zone on the primary domain controller set as an Active Directory integrated zone or is it just a standard primary zone.

Check your DHCP scope to ensure the tcpip properties are configured properly. If so, make sure you have an A Record for the second server on your Pri DNS server. Can you ping the IP address? If so, then it's surely DNS related.

The DNS server is not integrated just a standard primary zone, the secondary DNS server is set correctly to the primary server. Should this be integrated for proper results?

DHCP is configured correctly also I don't have a problem with finding the license server again so in this way it is working, I also get a bit further with setting up secondary active directory.

The thing is, it won't accept domainname.com but simply domain it will accept. It will not accept domain.com.
when i select /change this in domain window2000server will ask if the domain domainname shoulkd actually refer to domainname.com . I click on ok and then think I can get further asking me where to put the AD databases. Then it says error cannot find domain controller.

Hope you can help

Tell me, what do you see on the primary DC event viewer? Any directory service warnings or security failure events?

Also, when you expand your domain in users and computers snap in on the pri DC, what is the full name of your domain?

One more question...Are you trying to add a 2003 DC to your current 2000 domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back