Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS port in "closed" state - bad? how to close more ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jutetrea

MIS
Aug 23, 2001
US

got a watchguard soho setup behind a completely open verizon router. everything in the soho list is "denied" in incoming except for a few specific services we need. TCP and UDP on one port in the 10000 range, plus ipsec. If I go to the shieldsup! site and do a scan, the only port that comes up "closed" instead of stealthed is port 53 for DNS.

Now, I have DNS set up on our win2k server, and the DNS open on the watchguard. If I close it off on the watchguard, will I still be able to fully utilized DNS for my internal network?

Also, any good advice on hardening the firewall more? like creating special services to close down unused ports?

We don't have anything special going on here, not even exchange. Just HTTP and some vpn connections.

thanks,
jt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back