Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS on XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klibby

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
Is it possible to host a network domain using XP Pro? or do I have to go get Win2k Server? I want the computers on my network to log into my server as a domain.... I know I have to install DNS services and DHCP Server.... but are those included in XP? if not? where can i find them.... and will they work with XP Pro?

Need win2K server, also I think XP server is going to be .net?

anyone else agree?

If you are looking for a cheap way to setup a server and to get computers to log into a domain. You should try Linux most of the Linux distrubtions emulate NT Domains and can be used for Domain Controllers

You can also wait for XP server...

Can't wait for it myself

CS

cschaffer,
As m4tty said, the next version of a Microsoft Windows Server platform is going to be called Windows .Net Server

You can also do what you want using WinRoute Pro. It costs about 50 for a 5 computer license, compared to 1500 for Server edition. It takes a bit to set up, but they let you try it for 30 to see if you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back