Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS on Windows 2003 server won't update old record 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsiefers

MIS
Jan 4, 2011
US
Hi everyone,

I'm the new IT person for a small elementary school. This is the first time I've gotten to work on DNS problems myself, so I could really use some advice on this problem.

A little background on our network - we have a Windows 2003 server, which acts as our domain controller and DHCP server. Our LAN is connected to the Internet through a WAN that is provided by a state regional education agency. The state agency acts more or less as our ISP.

We also have a parent who created and maintains our school website, which is hosted by an external provider. Over the holidays, he moved our website hosting from bellsouth.net to hostcollective.com. When we returned from the holiday break, we found that we were no longer able to access our school website from within the school building. If anyone tried to access it at their own home, it worked fine. After doing some digging, I found that our Windows 2003 server is returning the old bellsouth.net IP address for our school website, while everywhere else, including our state education agency's name servers, are returning the new hostcollective.com IP address. Since our computers use our Windows 2003 server as the first name server for lookups, they keep getting directed to the old IP address.

I can't seem to get our Windows 2003 server to update this record. It's been over a week since the change took place, and everywhere else on the Internet seems to have picked up the change. I tried opening DNS under Administrative Tools, right-clicking on our server, and choosing Clear Cache, and I also tried right-clicking on Cached Lookups and choosing Clear Cache, and I tried doing an ipconfig /flushdns at the command prompt, but it still returns the old IP address when you do an nslookup using our server. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Dianne

It sounds like there may be a ptr record manually created within dns. You can simply edit that ptr record to reflect the new ip address. Your server will not know to update this record dynamically.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Doh! It wasn't a dynamic record!

Our Active Directory here at the school and our website have the same domain names, so there was a PTR record on our server to direct traffic to the website to the correct location.

I just needed somebody to give me a push in the right direction. :) Thanks!

Awesome glad to help! Thanks for the star.

Network+
Inet+
MCP
MCSA 2003
MCTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back