Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS on Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyBoy01

Technical User
Jun 10, 2003
AU
Hi,

If anyone can help with this issue, that would be great.

I have two Win2k PC's on a LAN set up as a client-server (one Server running 192.168.1.1, one running Professional 192.168.1.2). They are linked to a internet gateway device (192.168.1.10). The Server is acting as a DHCP server and a DNS Server.

When 192.168.1.2 logs into the domain I have created it gathers its TCP/IP settings from DHCP Server okay. In particular a primary (192.168.1.1) and secondary (192.168.1.10) DNS Server. Unfortunately neither machine seems to be referring to the secondary DNS entry. As when I ping I don't get a response, but if I ping google's IP address I do. If then proceeded to swap around the DNS entries in DHCP and refresh my IP on 192.168.1.2. Now I can resolve URL's, however if I change my PC to be a member of a workgroup, then try to make it join the domain again, it won't be able to find it, because the secondary DNS entry does not seem to be referred too. However if I change it back, primary begin 192.168.1.1 and secondary 192.168.1.10. It will find the domain. However, again, URL's will not resolve.

I have also tried replacing 192.168.1.10 with my ISP's DNS server, however same out come was achieved.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance!!

D-Boy01

If your client get its TCP/IP properties from DHCP Server, does your scope options, 006 DNS Server contain both IP-Addresses of your DNS-Servers?

When You right-click your DNS-Server (from DNS-Manager), have you activated "Enabled forwarders" and entered an IP-Address of your local IPS-DNS-Server? This is important in order for a DNS server to be able to forward a request it cannot resolve it self.

A secondary DNS is mainly used when primary DNS is not available.

Cheers
Knut Erik
MCSE

Thanks for answering Knutern... Yes, the DHCP server scope options does have both address available.

However, when I check the "enabled forwarders" the option to enable is grayed out and no entries are available. Would you know a way inwhich to enable this ???

cheers,

DBoy01

Yes, your DNS-Server thinks it is a "root" server. You need to delete the root zone, eventually wait some time (minutes) or reboot and retry.

Cheers
Knut Erik
MCSE

Thanks Knutern, It worked just like you said!!!

Do I now have to re-add my Forwarders Lookup Zone again, or is it not required....

DBoy01

No, you only delete the "." zone. Not any one of your other zone which you have defined.

Cheers
Knut Erik
MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back