Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS on Red Hat Linux 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

withu

ISP
May 3, 2003
IN
Dear All,

Hope YOu all r fine there..
I have just started using LINUX and tried to install DNS but not sure whether it is up or not...

nslookup works fine

named-check conf command also gives no problem but

for any new site it uses the other IP address assinged ...

Can any 1 tell in steps how to go ahead with DNS setup ..

/var/named > what file to ne created
/etc/named.conf should have what content ...

Just I want to make myself sure ..

With best regards,
WITHU

can't anybody tell me how to solve this problem
i use this command:
dig @mydomain any
the respons message is:
dig:Couldn't find server 'mydomain':Temporary failure in name resolution.

can't anybody explain to me a step to configure dns, i am very confused(i read many article about DNS,but i still don't understand, i want to migrate to Linux Fedora from Windows)

You don't really need dns setup on your network. In most cases, you use your provider's dns servers. Some companies that have large networks use domains to break down certain sections of their network. These are not visible to the outside world so they setup their own dns server. Since Bind is a full blown dns server, you can configure it to be seen both by the world and your intranet. However since you need to have 2 dns servers on 2 different ip addresses, this is more trouble than it's worth for just a few zones. Can I ask how you plan to use your dns server? It will help us give more spacific answers.

thansk RhythmAce.
I had allready use W2k Server. i am newbie in linux, i W2K we know about Active Directory and Dns.
i am so confused about Dns in Linux. can u explain to me.
I wan't migrate to Linux Fedora, can u tell me how to configure server (1 had 60 client using W2k Server).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back