Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmwtech

Technical User
Jan 18, 2004
US
If my isp has given me a set of dns numbers to use in my modem\router can I have a different set on the pc's on the network.
lmwtech

There are applications where you connect directly to the net and use the ISP numbers. There are other applications where you get to the net through a router.
Those that use the router usually have a local network with numbers assigned by the router to keep track of the machines.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

DNS works sorta like links in a chain. You can have your local net using your own DNS, as long as that DNS lists the ISP's DNS as an authorative source everything (internal and external) will resolve.

your can address specific entries say

myexchangeserver = 192.168.1.1

in your host file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

also in lan properites, Internet protocol, advanced (PC) you can list server dns server in the order you wish them to be used

You can use a different list of DNS servers on every machine on your network if you like. The list of DNS servers simply identifies the preferred order for DNS requests for that particular machine.

For a home network it is common to enter a list of DNS servers on your router/modem and have all of the machines on your network point to the router/modem for DNS. That is the "chain" aspect of LawnBoy's post.

What is your concern or what are you trying to do?

pansophic

Problem has been solved.
Thanks to all.
lmwtech

lmwtech...
Mastering Windows 200(x) Server by Mark Minasi, Sybex
Mark Minasi has excellent, easy to read, no nonsence books on Windows 200x, particularly excellents chapters on DNS

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back