Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS not working over VPN PPTP connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

pogi05

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2006
US
We have a Windows 2003 RRAS server which also hosts DNS, WINS and DHCP (It's a small office with 15+ employees).

Everyone in the office, when VPN'd in, has DNS issues when trying to connect via the computer name. On my XP client, I cannot ping computers/servers on the local netowrk via computer name or even the FQDN. However it does work via the IP. I can access files as well as long as I use the IP.

"ipconfig /all" shows that the VPN connection has taken up the proper DNS and WINS servers settings from the DCHP...

I can get to the internet fine, after VPN connection, so I don't know what route my client is taking when connecting there.

Any Ideas or suggestions of where to look??

Thanks,

Chris

I'd manually set the DNS address to an internal DNS server in the PPTP VPN TCP/IP settings.

and clarification: you CAN get to the internet while connected to the VPN?

Robert Liebsch
Systems Psychologist,
Network Sociologist,
Security Pathologist,
User Therapist.

Thanks for the suggestions Rob.

I added both internal DNS servers to the PPP VPN TCP/IP properties, as well as set the "DNS suffix for this connection" as mydomain.local -

And yes, I can still connect to the internet when I connect to our Company VPN server. There is no split tunneling that I know of configured on the client, so I'm not sure how I'm getting resolution?

I'm continually researching...

Chris

Does anyone have more suggestions?

I have checked the routing tables when VPN'd in, and it shows my local subnet destination with the gateway set as my PPTP connection Ip address, which I assume is correct? And my default gateway is shown as my local subnet gateway. (I have the use Remote Gateway option selected).

I have found no other alternative suggestions online.. :(

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Thanks FloDiggs,

I have found a solution online. I was using the Windows XP VPN client, and when I used nslookup after making a VPN connection, my DNS server was still my ISP provider and not my internal office DNS. This was supposedly a problem with XP that had not been fixed...

Here is the article that explained the problem in XP, it requires a registry edit that puts the PPP adapter at the top of the bind order:

It is also a great guide, because it has a VBscript that can create the registry change which you can deploy with the CMAK. Connection Manager Administrator Kit (or whatever).

which links to this Microsoft KB:

Hope this helps anyone in the future!!

Thanks all for the feedback.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back