Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Not Updating Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathstar

MIS
Aug 28, 2001
CA
I have several Windows 2003 STD servers with the latest SP installed. They are acting as a Domain Controllers with DHCP and DNS installed and running with no errors whatsoever. I enabled the DHCP settings to Automatically DISGARD A and PTR records when the lease expires, I also setit to DYNAMICALL update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request updates. I have noticed that eventhough this setting is enforced I am not getting up to date DNS records, the leases have long expired and renewed with new IP's and this is not reflecting to my Forward and Reverse Lookup records in my DNS.

I ran dcdiag and ntdiag to make sure everything is set accordingly. I recieved no errors when I ran the diagnostics, I have no idea what is causing the inconstancies. If anyone had similar issues and have resolved them please shed some light since I have no idea as to what the problem is. I have also checked the DNS event logs and there are no errors to report which is confusing.

Any help will definitely be appreciated.

Thanks
:eek:)

Do you have aging/scavening enabled?

You need to make sure you set-up your DNS servers to scavange old records.

Good luck,

Thanks I will try this and see if it resolves my stale DNS records.

Thank you all for replying it's appreciated.

Okay, so here is my question about scavenging then...the date stamp on my Reverse PTR's are dated 06/Nov/2007 but the date stamp on my Forward records about 05/Feb/2008. Is scavenging not taking place? I'm assuming not since there are missing/mixed up entries in both Reverse and Forward zones...

ie) Forward: Name - acc01.domain.com IP - 172.16.100.120
acc02.domain.com IP - 172.16.100.171
Reverse: IP - 172.16.100.120 Name - acc02.domain.com
IP - 172.16.100.171 Name - acc03.domain.com

It's not like this for all entries, only for about 10.

I ask this because the zone is set to age/scavenge after 1 hour YET, under properties of the DNS server "enable auto scavenge..." is not set.

I did not setup this server but something seems weird about this setup. I don't want to manual start a scavenge in the event that it messes things up more than it already is! - BTW - Windows Server 2003

The Lease duration for DHCP clients is set to 1 day. "Enable DNS dynamic updates"; "always dynamically update DNS A and PTR"; "Discard A and PTR records" - are all set in DHCP.

eseabrook - you should really start your own thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back