Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Name Server won't connect to my web server, but IP address will. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedudeap

Programmer
Dec 15, 2010
US
I have an apache web server setup and if I type in the IP address to the server the server is working correctly, but when I set up name servers to the same ip address the server cannot be found by the web browser.

If I set up a name server
ns1.mydomain.com -> myIP Address
ns2.mydomain.com -> myIp Address

Shouldn't it just forward to the IP address? I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.

Keep in mind I'm testing this from a computer located outside my building so the port forwarding is working correctly and there are no issues with a hosts file. I've also tested this on multiple machines and browsers all with the same error. I also have a subdomain that points to the IP address that is working, but the normal DNS doesn't want to work.

Thanks,
Dan

Welcome to tek-tips.

Is the DNS server one that you control or are you using a DNS service, like your domain registar?

If it is one you control, did you restart or reload or restart the server after changing the zone configuration? Chances are that if you did restart and it isn't working you have an error in your zone file. Do you get any errors or warnings in your log files?

What happens if you do an nslookup or dig on your domain, both forward and reverse?

Thank you for the reply.

I think you're correct in there is an issue with my zones. I have another domain name with network solutions and they allow you to do advanced DNS where you specify an IP address for say a "www" alias and my webServer is working fine with that.

Still cannot find the reason why, but I have a clearer understanding now.

Thanks,
Dan

I am the master of stating the obvious, but just in case it isn't echoing out there in cyberspace already, I'll just post a note reminding you that any changes you make to your domain configuration can take up to 3 days to propagate (spread) across the internet. So making a change to your nameservers at your domain provider and then immediately hitting your domain with your browser probably will not work.

One thing I will do to test my DNS server configuration before going live with it, assuming you have a windows box that your running your browser on, is to go into the network connection setup on that workstation and in the IP settings where it says "obtain DNS automatically" change it to "Use this address" and then enter in your IP for the primary and leave the secondary blank. Apply and OK all that and then exit the network connection box and your PC should re-establish its network settings.

Now go into your browser and hit your domain name and see if the website comes up. If it does, at least that part of your nameserver is working correctly. While you're at it, try hitting some other websites out in the world to make sure it's doing the rest of its job.

If all that works you know your nameserver is working properly at least to get to your website. You can now change your windows box back to Automatic for its DNS settings, and then if you so choose, go back to your domain registry and point the nameservers (at least the primary one)at your IP again. Hopefully within 1 - 3 days it will start working for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back