Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Migration from 2003 - 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

eparkmmc

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2012
US
Hey guys,

We currently have 4 DC's (due to a half done migration by previous consulting firm). two are 2003 and the other two are 2008.
The 2003 server boxes are the fsmo role holders and primary/secondary DNS (w/ AD integrated mode).

We are planning to move all services from the old 2003 boxes to the new 2008. I know how to move the FSMO roles so that's not an issue but I wanted to know, if it would be possible to:

1) Install DNS on the 2008 and set them up in AD Integrated mode
2) Wait until all DNS info is replicated.
3) Point all servers to the new 2008 DNS servers (We only have a handful).
4) Modify DHCP scope with new DNS info.
5) Uninstall DNS from the 2003 servers.

Would this work or are there things that I am missing?

That's exactly the right plan. Just give the DHCP changes half their lease time to work, so if the lease is 8 days, wait 4 days after the DHCP scope options change before DCPromo'ing the old servers down. I don't think it's important to uninstall DNS on the old boxes, more important to just remove the DC role and then if they aren't going to be fully retired, repoint their own local DNS settings to point at the 2008 DC's for DNS.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back