Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS lookup error

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipesnab

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
GB
I am running a windows 2000 network. However DNS does not seem to be working properly, when I run the dnslookup command it says the server is unknown. DNS has been setup on that server but obviously incorrectly.

I would like to reinstall DNS and start afresh to get it working as it seems to be in a big mess at the moment. However when i uninstall DNS from the server and reinstall it it keeps the old settings and i cant seem to get rid of them. Does anyone know how I can delete all the setting as to start afresh. I think DNS was installed with active directory..

Tell me a dns error reported in your envent viewer
than i will sugeest u some tip

Ch Abdulla Fayyaz chattha
Network Administrator
achattha@hec.gov.pk

1)Fixed IP or using dhcp?
2)Ipconfig /all? Anything look strange?
3)Simple and recursive tests on dns. What do you get?
4)1.0.0.127, is it listed?
5)Just because you get an error trying dnslookup, what makes you think you need to re-install dns? Maybe just need to tweak what you've got.
As you can see, we need a lot more details, and good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Based on my past experinences with W2k and DNS/DHCP, along with all of the security patches for Microsoft, I went to an appliance model. Take a look at This can save a QIP shop a lot of money, and help a Microsoft shop with stabillity along with QIP functionality.

you need to fix reverse dns for your server name. there needs to be a ptr record for it.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back