Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Issues through PIX 515

Status
Not open for further replies.

roojam

Technical User
May 14, 2001
NL
Our PIX Firewall had a trial run over the weekend and everything seems to be superb, apart from one problem, DNS!!! If we key in a IP address it goes to the site, if we typw in the DNS name, it doesn't like it at all.

Has anyone got any ideas at all??? We use a leased line to a ISP and we use there DNS server.

Richard

Look a the "alias" command. This it's your problem.

Thats what I am in the process of doing at the moment, is the format like this???:

alias (inside) <ip address of dns server> <inside interface address>

Does this sound right or am I going about it all wrong??

Richard

alias (inside) internal_server_ip_address external_ip_address 255.255.255.255

This will rewrite a DNS A record.

You have a server with a ip address. This server reside on inside network. And this server has a static command that map real internal ip address into a internet address. When you point to internal ip address you can make connection to thsi server. But if you point to the name of the server, and this name is resolved by an external DNS to external internet address you cannot access the server.
Using alias, pix rewrite the ip address from a dns answer so you'll get the internal ip address instead of external ip address.

In this way you'll solve your problem.

Contact me on gabi@bvb.ro if you still have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back