Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS is resolving oddly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

statechamp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
When I try to resolve a host name on my 2000 network it sends me back an IP that is non-existant on my network. No matter what host name or even if I make up an obsolete host name it always returns the same IP. (207.70.7.168 hostname.my_domain_name.com) I have never seen this before, whats up!

I've seen this before with Win9x clients. I fixed it by removing the setting 'mycompany.com' from the domain name field in TCP/IP DNS settings (again, Win9x).

Are you using DHCP? Try clearing the domain-name setting in the options and doing an ipconfig /release and /renew.

Another thing to try is to set up a brand new machine with just a static IP address and subnet mask. Try pinging then, it should work. Keep adding attributes until it fails.

It may deal with a setting on the 'DNS' tab under the Advanced button in TCP/IP settings.

hope this helps,
-gbiello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back