Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS intermittent after PIX firewall installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

adarmus

Technical User
Sep 8, 2006
GB
We have a small office setup: Win2003 server as DHCP; XP Pro clients, and a pretty much out of the box configuration. Our external connection is with an ADSL modem and all was well. DNS was never an issue.

I installed a Cisco PIX firewall between our LAN and the ADSL modem, and now the DNS fails intermittently. For example, if you 'nslookup the first 3 attempts time out, and the 4th gets an answer.

Clients have the server as DNS server, server forwards to the firewall, firewall forwards to the ADSL modem, modem forwards to the ISP DNS.

I realise this may not be the right forum but I think I know more about firewalls than DNS, and am more certain that the firewall is OK and it is my config on the server that is causing this. Any pointers on what to change, DNS-wise, on the server or cients? Should I have changed the config of a working DNS setup when I installed the firewall?

Thanks, Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back