Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Implementation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluntbill

Programmer
Jun 7, 2006
PT
Hello there.

I'm in the process of getting a new internet connection, with a fixed instead of a dynamic IP. Before I get it, I would like to review and get help about a few steps that i need to configure my server when the connection is installed.

I have 2 domains hosted by godaddy. One of them, domain.org refers to my root web directory. Another one, domain.net, refers to a user's web directory. I am going to install a DNS server on my machine, and I would like to know what steps I have to take to manage both domains. For what I've been reading lately, it seems to be something like this:

In godaddy, I need to login to my 2 accounts, go to total DNS control, and change A (host) lines: both '@' and 'host' should have my new IP address instead of godaddy's addresses.
Then I need to change the nameservers, and put my ns1.domain.org as nameserver1 for both domains.
Next I need to configure my DNS server. First I need to insert "nameserver 127.0.0.1" in my /etc/resolv.conf so that the server queries itself.
Then I must edit named.conf and insert 2 zones "domain.org" and "domain.net" set with type master and pointing to file of my choice.
next I edit the zone file of one of the domain:
something like "@ IN SOA ns1.domain.org. mail.domain.org { [TTL and other stuff] }"
then I need to insert CNAMES, Aliases and other:

NS www
domain.org. MX 10 mail
localhost A 127.0.0.1
slack A 000.000.000.000
mail CNAME slack
ns1 CNAME slack
slack

I need to do the same for my domain.net... Is this correct? Slack is my machine name, 000.000.000.000 would be the IP and the nameserver and mail server will be in the same machineas the DNS.

The problem is: how do I configure the reverse zones? And how do I make domain.net point to a user's web directory and domain.org point to my root webdirectory?

Any comments or corrections will be very appreciated, as well as any help on how to configure the other stuff I don't know. Thank you

By the way I would like to know another thing: Installing bind-chroot gives a good protection to the server?
And what about MyDNS? Is it worth it? I read some stuff and its mentioned that the server never needs to be rebooted...It seems nice...
Anyone with experience from any of these features please say what you think. thank you

Hi Bill,

I'm glad I found your post, as I'm at about the same place you in setting up the DNS Server with godaddy.com, which seems from ground zero! lol

This is more info than what i received from godaddy.com, as they told me i had to disable the nameserver, and I said, "huh? ok thanks, buh bye." lol

I'm going to follow your directions, hope for the best, and post my results here.
If you have come across any new updates on making this work since your last post, I would appreciate any info you may have .

Thanks!
Drumsticks

OK, you had the answer I was looking for regarding the Name Servers.

It involved me needing to change the A file on godaddy.com to my WAN IP Address in order to point the domain to my DNS webserver.

So, now I just hope that creating a second domain with the same IP is identical to that of the first. gulp...

Very useful info you had posted here, Bill.

Thanks!
Drumsticks

Hello there drumsticks.

Glad my post worked for you. I'm still waiting for my new connection, so I haven't deployed the DNS server yet.

But it seems that you have been able to get it to work. I posted this because i thought that what I had learned was not enough to get it working...lol

Are you able to receive mail, ftp, ssh and other connections with your domain?

Thnak you :)

Another thing I discovered regarding several domains on the same IP is this: I think that you need to edit your apache (or whatever webserver you have) config, and configure virtualhosts for each and every domain you have redirected to your server.

Be aware that i haven't yet tested any of this...but it seems to be right until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back