Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS HELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

just1fix

Technical User
Oct 13, 2004
US
I'm currently attending the Microsoft 2277B course, onward and upward for my MCSE, which I should accomplish just short of two decades from now. My instructor currently went over DNS Forward and Reverse lookup zones, Root Hints WINS Active registration partners, Push-Pull Replication. Can anyone explain this better than these instuctors here? They're Micosoft certified instructors, but my god, does anyone have a better way to explain this, like in ENGLISH?

AAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)I

A forward lookup zone stores name to IP address mappings (eg pc1.yournetwork.org to 192.168.1.1), whereas a reverse lookup zone stores IP address to name mappings (eg 192.168.1.1 to pc1.yournetwork.org).
Root Hints tells the DNS servers which servers to connect at the top level if they don't know the name.
For example, the DNS servers on yournetwork.org will know all about the DNS setup on there, but nothing outside.
If you then go to view the DNS server doesn't know it, so it queries the root hints file to get the IP address of the .org top level domain, which will then in turn give the address of mynetwork.org, where the dns servers there can resolve the machine known as www. The replies will be returned to the machine and so your PC will then be able to resolve it.

I'm not too sure about Active Directory Partners or push pull replication though, perhaps someone else can enlighten us.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back