Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS FOR BEGINNERS/ HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

servergms

Technical User
Apr 11, 2002
US
Hi, I'm fairly knew windows 2k/adv. server and I am trying to host a website. I registered a domain with yahoo a ways back and need to get it delegated to my server so can host it myself.I set up the dns server but i must not be doing it wrong. I found info at microsoft on it but it doesn't explain about the secondary just the primary.Yahoo requires both.When setting up I wanted to use one machine for both the primary and the secondary. I don't know how to set this up. Do I put the secondary info into the primary and vice versa? If my ip for the primary is 12.45.226.1/mask 255.255.255.0 which is the machines ip(matser copy). Then I added a second ip 12.45.226.2/ 255.255.255.0 for the secondary. Thanks in advance.

Best regards

servergms

A secondary DNS server would need to be a separate host, not a second NIC on the same host. I don't think that's possible, and if I'm wrong about that, it's certainly not desirable. You need the secondary/slave server for redundancy...you don't want internet users to lose connectivity to your web site(s), right? So, you set up your primary server, make sure it's working properly, then you set up a second host as the secondary/slave. Make sure to check off "allow zone transfers" on the primary, and list the secondary's IP address as a recipient...

If Yahoo is currently your primary, you could have them be your secondary. You have to tell them that you are to be the primary now, and that they will be the secondary. You will have to enter their DNS IP into your machine as one that can do a zone transfer. Then contact Network Solutions (or whoever you registered your domain name with) and inform them of the change in primary/secondary. It is undesirable to have only one DNS, but you could do it. To make it somewhat safe, I would sugggest turning your TTLs up high, so that any DNS servers that cache you will hold onto your info for a while. You will have a problem if your DNS goes down and you have someone try to hit your website that has never hit it before, as their DNS may not be able to resolve your name if it doesn't have your domain cached already.

At any rate, I don't think you can simply place a second NIC in a machine and have it work as your primary and secondary DNS. If you can, I see that as being the dropping off point for a world of problems... and what have you solved, anyways? You still have NO DNS if the machine goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back