Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns errors - 2003 server - losing internet next day on workstations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsiger

Technical User
Mar 30, 2009
GB
I have setup a windows 2003 server on a small network with 5 x windows vista business workstations. My problem is that the workstations lose the internet connection when there is no activity, i.e. next morning.
The 2003 server address for NiC one is 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0, gw=192.168.1.1, preffered dns=127.0.0.1. NiC two is 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0, gw=192.168.1.254(router ip), dns=127.0.0.1.
I have disabled dhcp on the router (bt1800hg).
The workstations are using dhcp with the dns set to the server at 192.168.1.2.
I did not change anything else on the windows 2003 server.
Maybe to simplify my problem for a quicker solution can anybody enlighten me as to what settings I need to use?

why two nics? does your traffic go through the server? what is the lease time of your dhcp address from the server?

2 NiCS? good question. I just got the impression this was needed after reading other posts. Would it be better just to use one on the server? I was hoping to just use the router as the gateway, dhcp and dns server just as I would in a peer to peer network. However windows 2003 server seems to conflict with this option and I have been unsucessful when trying to disable dns on the server.

your server should be just like a host in the peer to peer network. your router should be the gateway. the server should be the dhcp and dns server. is the server a domain controller or just a server?

The server is a domain controller. The server is setup as the dhcp controller and I think by default the dns server. I have a feeling the router may be conflicting with the dns but I see no way of changing the dns on the router.
I have had this problem in the past on another network. Somebody at that time pointed out that it is a dns problem between the router and windows server. This is over my head!
Thanks .......

dns would not cause you to lose internet after a certain time period. it either works or it does not. DHCP can have that affect if the lease time is too short. Do users have to auth to the DC? i do not know what the affect would be if you removed the one NIC but thats a path i would explore. what kind of router is it?

The router is a BT1800HG. I have disabled dhcp on the router and now increased the lease on the dhcp on the windows 2003 server. Thanks again, Richard

I have noticed in the scope options of the windows 2003 server it has in the option name 003 router at address 192.168.1.2. However this address is the second NiC on the windows 2003 server. Am I missing something or must this be set to the routers address which is 192.168.1.254?
Thanks ..

You'll want it to be the router's address.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Thanks for all the help guys. So far no more complaints

That's great news :)

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back