Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2ktiger

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
Hi all,
Am running win98se operating system with virus and firewall protection - my delema is I cannot register or login into a particular site, am getting the 'page cannot be displayed' message 'cannot find server or DNS error'
Have tried disabling firewall, security settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0 are checked - I contacted the company itself and they figured it's my computer settings - suggestions?
Rgds
Tiger.

Hi,

If all other sites work on your PC ecept for that one, ( What site is it? ) I suggest that the site itself has problems or your company may have filtering software installed that list that site as a No No.

Darrell,

Hi Darrell,
Thanks 4 your feedback - Yes all other sites are working fine it's just this one I am having problems
with 'Telusmobility' - according to Telus it's my settings problem - what type of filtering software eg.....
Tiger.

Is it a secure "https:\\" site? If so, what is the level of encryption your browser is using? Look in help\about to see. Maybe you need to upgrade to 128 bit? Also, delete your cache, (temporary internet files), and any cookies from that site.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi Jon,
Thanks 4 your feedback, my encr is set at 128 and the cache is clear........
Tiger.

Hi Darrell,

I have my browser security set to medium and is accepting cookies.
yes this is the URL and the links are for Register/Login, where it takes me to the 'The page cannot be displayed......'
Rgds
Tiger.

Hi Darrell,
I am using IE ver6 and win 98SE.
I don't seem to have any problems with a lot of web sites, could it have anything to do with Active X (just wondering)
Rgds
T.

I don't see any active X on the page in question.
The page you are having troubles with is a secure page though. You might try using the repair option in IE and see if that helps though.

Darrell,

I don't see any repair option in IE.
T.

Hi Darrell,
Tried fixing IE, no luck.
T.

Have you tried a different browser? You should be able to find a netscape 4.x browser at netscape.com (which are a lot less invasive than the newer browsers).

Matt J.

hey tiger
try a search (start, find, files/folders) for "hosts" (without the quotes). If you find one somewhere like c:\ or c:\windows, rename it temporarily to hosts.old and then try to access your site again. If you get access, then it's a matter of editing the hosts file to unblock the site address for your particular site. I'll try to find the steps for that if it applies and you need them.

So you can get to ?
But then not the login page from there? This page requires cookies to be allowed; I know you have cookies enabled, but if the cookie got corrupted somehow this could prevent access to the page. It was suggested earlier that you delete any cookies from the site and try again. You said that you cleared the cache but did you delete the cookies?

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Hi Matt,Diogenes,Rocker,
Thanks for your inputs I'll try your suggestions and let you know if they work.
P.S: Rocker, yes I did clear the cookies as well.
Tiger.

I open a second browser window.
copy the first shortcut you posted above and I get page cannot be displayed.
I go to what appears to be the same one in your sept 23 post above and copy that shortcut and I get the site.

The links you posted don't work as you posted them; but it's just because of the quotes around them get included as part of the URL. When I typed it in (minus the quotes ) I get the page no problem. I then clicked on the link to the login page and that loaded fine as well. I then copied the URL of the login page to a new window and that brought up the login page just fine. I am using Mozilla. Also tried it with I.E. 6 and had no problems getting the page.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back