Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS error message/setup questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

overmonkey

Technical User
May 15, 2002
US
Hi friends,

I've got a few posts going here - sorry if I'm clogging the pipes. While looking for resolution to some nascent latency in browsing network drives, I see constant questions about DNS.

I understand what DNS is and does. No problem there. However, when I went to check the DNS settings on the server, I got an error message:
MMC
Snap-In failed to initialize
Name: - not available -
CLSID {2FAEBFA2-3F1A-11DO-8C65-00C04FD8FECB}

It seems to me that DNS is not installed - how could this be?

What is required to setup DNS on the win2k server platform? We have external DNS that resolves all internet sites without issues, and I can ping computers by name - that would be WINS though, or netbios over TCP/IP, right?

The domain controller was set up by someone else - it has been assigned a name/domain that could potentially conflict with a registered domain name, so registering the DC with external DNS would be out of the question unless we rename the domain. So, my guess is that I need to establish some kind of internal DNS, but I'm clueless on where to begin. The machine runs win2k server and functions as DC and file server.

Thanks

Ned

Any DNS gurus care to share?

HI.

Go to this site, and search for "DNS":

Here are some general tips:
DNS SERVER must be installed and running on your internal server.
All internal server(s) and workstations should use your internal DNS server and not the ISP servers (Check LAN settings on server and workstations - you can deploy to workstations using DHCP).
Check again using "IPCONFIG /ALL" on server and workstation.
Your internal DNS server will be configured to forward requests to ISP DNS servers.
In the DNS management console, in the properties of your server, go to "Monitoring" tab and test.
Use Event Viewer to see what's going on.
Use "DCDIAG" and "NETDIAG" from the W2K support tools (on W2K setup CDROM), to check your network.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back