Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS error configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

matica

Technical User
Jan 13, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a network setup at home, currently I have a win2000 server as the primary controller, NT4.0 server stand alone running exchange server5.5, three win98 system. I also have a regular huh 10 baseT and a DSL modem/router.

Well I would like to use the outlook web access to check my email. The problem is that I can only see the win2000 server http, ftp, when I ping the domain with /exchange tell me unknown host. I add the ip address of the N.T box on the router but still don't work.

When I test the exchange web mail internally works fine.

So my question; that win2000 server need to have a DNS record setup for the NT box to kick in when the request for exchange web access is made from the internet.

Everything works good internally, but from the internet side I can't find the NT box.

I only have one static IP for my router.

Assuming you aren't hosting any web pages on other machines, you could have your DSL router route all traffic on port 80 (or another port if you want to configure exchange to answer on it) to that machine. Marc Creviere

In windows 2000 there is no pdc/bdc. All computers that are windows 2000 server domain controllers have a writable copy of the AD database. However, you can have NT4.0 BDC's in a W2k domain. You must have a dns server in your domain in order to use active directory. This dns server must have srv records and should be W2k (although some versions of bind use srv recouds). If you are not using dhcp then you will have to manually add your records in dns for non W2k clients. Don't forget your MX record.

Yeah.... I am hosting one side on the win2000 server. Port 80 is open in my router as well as 21. What other port # can I use for the nt box(if any) if I allready are using 80 for the win2000 server...

port # 8080

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back