Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS entry for internal use of OWA? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

glgcag

MIS
Apr 25, 2001
US
I have recently installed a digital certificate on my exchange server and opened the ports so that I can have users log in externally to our Exchange server via OWA. They use the address
Logging into OWA internally in our office is a different address ( and is confusing for users. Can I just add an entry to DNS in our Active Directoy integrated domain so that if the user types in when inside our network, it translates it to our secure OWA server?

You'll need to create a forward lookup zone for ourdomain.com, and then an A record for mail. It's a good idea to also create an A record for point it to your website. I usually create one for ourdomain.com (root of the domain), and point it to the website, too.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

58sniper,

In the forward lookup zone for my domain, I already have a host(A) record for "www" pointed to my external website (hosted remotely). Should I just create a host(A) record for "mail" pointed to the internal ip of my exchange server, or to the external ip of the exchange server?

Lastly, to understand this a bit better, let me see if I understand what I'm doing: in the forward lookup zone for ourdomain.com, I am adding a host(A) record entry for "mail" that will redirect users to our OWA/Exchange server (either using the internal ip or the external dependent on your answer to the above question), right? And should the fqdn for the host(A) record include the /exchange appended to the end? (ie: mail.ourdomain.com or mail.ourdomain.com/exchange?)

Thanks again for your help!

Point "mail" at the internal IP address of your mail server.

The /exchange folder is not part of a DNS host name, so, no - it can't be part of an A record.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

You'll want to create the A record for "mail" pointing to the internal address of your mail server.

You are correct in your understanding. When you create the A record, you'll enter mail in the name (the FQDN will autopopulate, e.g. mail.ourdomain.com) and type in the IP address of the exchange server. The user will type the /exchange as they would if they were accessing it externally, e.g.
---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
Systems Administrator

Thanks 58sniper and goodfela26, it worked perfectly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back