Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS - did I get ripped off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

canlish

Technical User
Jun 30, 2002
CA
G'day,

I just purchesed a domain, but I dont want to pay for a domain host. I would like to run the site from my own box, but how can I get it to work where the user enters the address and it forwards to me?

I have win2k running IIS.

Thanks,

You just need to register your static IP with name of your
site.If your site is in child domain of someones else domain
than ask them to register your IP in their DNS.There is no forwarding if you don'tuse hosting services.If you are on your own with hosting than all you you have with ISP is their DNS.
Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

Well, you will need to first register your domain name. If you use network solutions, they have a option for registering a host for dns purposes.

Normally, they don't register individual hosts, only domains. The exception is for name servers, which is what you want.

so, register something like NS1.YOURDOMAIN.COM and point it to an ip address of yours that will host dns.

Also, another consideration is a secondary backup domain server (ie NS2.YOURDOMAIN.COM) in case your dns is down. This is normally somewhere not even close to your network for redundancy. If dns and your site is on the same server, it probably doesn't matter much then.

What software are you going to use for your dns server. Microsoft's DNS is very simple to use but doesn't come included with 2kprof, only server.

You could install BIND on windows but it has a pretty high learning curve but can be accomplished.

Alternatively, if you are looking for a cheap solution, I'm very reasonable and can host it for you. Just a one time small (VERY) charge and you can host update via email.

good help ppl, just one other thing, Please don't use IIS. it is the worlds most insecure webserver.

I am not just saying that, I have proof. I ran IIS 5 of three different servers and within one week, different worms had created over 200gb of crap on my network. This was after i installed all the patches, upgrades and latest virus scanners.

if you must use windows, please use another webserver like apache32.

please don't think i am having a go at you or saying you are stupid, but only people who have had the trouble can tell you how bad it is.

also, once you get the worm, the only way to get rid of it is to wipe every bit of data on the network. backups and all. this is not good. if you find my advice useful, please rate me.

HOLY MOLY!!!...worm is right...its been running for about 10 hours and I have tons of script corruptions from some worm(s)...this is terrible, I have all the patches, updates and virus (boot) protection, as well as a port scanner. Geesh...Apache eh? Thaks for all of the good advise people.

Cheers,

Canlish

sup all, yeah IIS is tricky to set up...but if you do it all right...and fix some of the defaults "web sites" that MS automatically creates, you can have IIS running fine. This is from my experience. Afterwards you then have to keep your self up to date with the latest security updates that MS shall publish later.
There are great tools by Microsoft to help deploy IIS, here are two:
1)IIS LockDown tool
2)MS Baseline Security Analyzer.

Try to use those both after setting up iis.
Laters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edgardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back