Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS delegation

Status
Not open for further replies.

grebnetso

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2005
US
I'm trying to setup a DNS delegation using Windows 2003 DNS server.

Starting with a fresh DNS server I just created I open the DNS console and right clicked on my newly created forward look up zone. I then input the DNS server that is authoritative for the child zone.

Is there anything else I need to do in order for outside DNS servers to resolve my child zone records? Do I need an A record for the name servers for my child zone on the parent forward lookup zone?

Example

parent.com
child.parent.com-delegation NS-192.168.1.100
NS-192.168.1.101
From what I've read all I should need is a delegation but I can't resolve anything from my child zone. Thanks in advance.

The last line should read I can't resolve any names in my child zone from an outside DNS zone. I do receive nonauthoritive responses for any record I request when I do nslookups from parent.com to child.parent.com.

This makes me think it's a disconnect on the part of the .com or parent server above my zone.

I'm using .com as an example.

I don't know much about win 2003 DNS, but is the delegation to a server on the 192.168.1 net as implied by the name? When you say "Outside DNS zone" do you mean on ther Internet? Remember that NS-192.168.1.101 needs to be somehow mapped to routable, accessible path using port 53.

eugene

My meaning for outside is the internet or a DNS server above my control. If you are wondering if I have a network connection the answer is yes. I can ping any of the IPS on either zone from the "internetdns" zone. When I do NSLOOKUP from the "internetdns" zone and set type=ns then type parent.internetdns.com I get a return stating that it can't be resolved. I get the same return for my child.parent.internetdns.com from within the internetdns.com zone, but when I do it from my zone that has no A records or stub zones or NS records for my child I receive a nonauthoritive answer for the child, which I believe is supposed to happen.

Thanks for the help so far.

internetdns.com
NS1-10.10.1.1
NS2-10.10.1.2
parent.internetdns.com--My ZONE
NS1-192.168.1.1
NS2-192.168.1.2
Child.parent.intertdns.com-The delegation I created
that is controled by another DNS structure.
NS1-192.168.1.100
NS2-192.168.1.101

Do you have A records for all the NS servers at the right level?
internetdns.com needs A's for:
NS1-192.168.1.1
NS2-192.168.1.2 in internetdns.com
and parents needs A's for:
NS1-192.168.1.100
NS2-192.168.1.101 in parent.internetdns.com

eugene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back