Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS database management 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTFOOL

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2006
US
Can anybody point me in the right direction pertaining to exporting a DNS database so I can send it to another admin not in my domain please ?

If the your DNS server and the other computer running DNS can see each other's IP address, the simplest way to get your DNS zone to the other is to create a "Secondary" DNS zone on the other DNS server for the domain zones you host. All your DNS records will then replicate on a regular basis to the secondary zone on the other server. You will have to adjust the security on your DNS to allow this. Goto the properties on the zone you wish to replicate, and select the zone transfers tab.

We use this method to transfer the DNS information between the DNS servers in our different domains. Since the secondary zone will update on a regular basis, we don't have to worry about having it go obsolete. It allows us to see the computers by their DNS names on other corporate domains.

You can also tell DNS to open up the information from a file. Right click the server in DNS and select properties, advanced tab. Set the zone load on startup to a file. You'll have to send him your files... c:\winnt\system32\dns\*.dns

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back