Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS database file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joma

Technical User
Sep 18, 2000
GB
I have beed trying to get our DNS service to work properly and found that the entries on the two DNS servers are not the same even though they are supposed to be.
Does anyone know where the DNS manager utility gets its information from. I've found a directory called DNS in Winnt\system32 in which there is a file with our domainname which has most of the entries but not all.

DNS will create a database for each domain or zone that has been created on the server. They are called "mydomain.com.dns" or something along those lines. Your entire DNS setup is the combination of all of these files.

I assume you are looking at the Primary DNS server. You may also be participating in a zone transfer with other DNS servers, in which case your server will receive additional information from others...

Just a few thoughts. :cool: - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

Hi Bill,

We have only single domain ( Zone ) and were running dns on two servers ( the PDc and BDC ) however, some other dns problem promped me to stop the dns service on the BDC which cured the problem till I can get round to solving it.

Anyway, on the remaining dns I can see the entries for all the relevant servers by going to the DNS Manager in Admin Tools which is fine BUT if I look at the domain-name.dns file in the DNS directory using Wordpad some of the entries for the servers ar missing.
There is nothing different about the entries that are missing they are just the same as the ones in the file so I am puzzled as to why the file does not list them but they can be seen in DNS Manager. I can only assume that the file is not what DNS is using to get the info hence the question, where does it get its input from.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back