Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

reest

Technical User
Dec 28, 2000
GB
Can Any one inform me why clients names and address would be put into the DNS.

Is it due to appplications such as sendmail or a web server

no idea...

where is it? in bind conf files or somewhere else? adam@aauser.com

when you say client names and address

Do you mean host names and IP address ?

-Danny

I find DNS very usefull, if you have many users on your system it is easier to connect to, lets say " Bob" than it is 192.168.20.36 or whatever you use for Ip's. Their are other reasons but this is what I use it for.
Chris

hi,

another reason is when u have a large n/w then if more than 2 different lan n/w (with different subnets ) exist then dns also helps in resolving which n/w a request belongs to. instead of sending a packet on all n/w for identification.. ofcourse as matrix7 says giving easy to identify with names r easier to remember m/cs rather than using the dot notations ip addresses.

-hth,
shail.

I've final found the answer (I Believe)

When an E-mail is sent using smtp from the client, it reaches the server and if sendmail is setup as the mail exchange it will reject the message as it can not identify what the senders address is as it is not in the DNS.

True or False

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back