Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Config Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smugg

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2001
US
I'm getting myself very confused with DNS and I'm hoping for help.

I have 2 Win2000 Active Directory DC's. The primary has DNS with no "." domain and forwarders configured to point to our ISP's DNS servers. The backup DC also has DNS installed with no "." domain.

Where I'm confused is the config on the BDC. Should I configure DNS on the BDC's TCP/IP settings to point to the PDC or should I configure a forwarder that points to the PDC (0r should they point to the ISP's DNS as well)? I'm stumped and think this may be causing problems for VPN users.

Help?

There are no PDC's or BDC's in Windows 2000? I guess you mean DC's....???

Only configure the forwarders to point to the ISP DNS servers. (Don't configure forwards to point back to internal DC DNS servers)

You need to configure forwarding on both of you DC's. (Assuming that you are using DNS in Active Directory Integrated mode -default).

Server1 should not have a "." root zone. Server1 should be configured to forward to the ISP dNS servers.

Server should not have a "." root zone. Server 2 should be configured to forward to the ISP DNS servers.

Clients should be configured to point to INTERNAL DNS servers only.

-hope this helps.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

You are correct... DC's not PDC and BDC. And thanks for the help. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back