Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Config Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruiseco

Programmer
Oct 10, 2001
US
I setup Windows DNS several days ago and my domains are resolving fine. When I go to and do a lookup on a domain I get the following message:

WARNING: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your master (primary) name server is: 65.245.134.64.. However, that server is not listed at the parent servers as one of your NS records! This is probably legal, but you should be sure that you know what you are doing.

I cannot figure out how to fix this in MS DNS. Any idea what could be wrong in my zone config?

I would say your DNS is setup for a secondary dns? And your ISP's Dns is not setup as a slave to pull transfers, instead they are probably forewarding. You should make sure you are the master, and your ISP is a slave, pulling zone transfer from you.

I am properly setup as the Primary and the slaves are setup correctly.

I'm more inclined to think it is something to do with the settings in the zone file itself...

I discovered the issue. For some reason MS DNS is not writing the ns1.domain.com at the beginning of the SOA line. Instead it starts it with @.

Any idea why this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back