Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS causing user lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredNoB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have 2 servers,(server1 holding user data & Server2 running other server based apps). Clients could ping Server2 and run apps from it but when trying to access a server share through the Run command, it could not find the server. I had an idea that DNS was not set up correctly so I made a couple of amendments, run the Simple and Recursive queries which passed OK. I left this a day or two to ensure replication had taken place but now when Server2 is on users are reporting error messages of "Domain controller not found" when trying to log on and also losing access to home areas if they do get logged on. When I take Server2 offline there are no such problems. I know the changes to DNS are behind this but I do not want to risk further problems by trying to undo the changes. Any help from experienced DNS users as to what the problem may be would be very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back