Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Between Domains with website having same name

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechJones

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
GB
Ok chaps,
Can,t see what to do here...
I have two locations one in USA and the other in the UK.
"DomainUK.net" and "DomainUSA.local"
DomainUK.net has a web site hosted by a local ISP which is also named DomainUK.net.
Both domains have have private IP range and are IP connected through an encrypted NAT'ed tunnel.

I need to setup a trust between the two domains, but first I need to configure DNS for name resolution. AT the moment both domains have there own AD intergrated DNS servers (one at each domain) Question one is how do I configure the two DNS servers to transfer there Zone info to each other.

The thing that concernes me is that the DNS servers at both sites are useing forwarders for the web resolution So therfore when I ping "DomainUK.net" from "DomainUSA.local" I get reply from the "DomainUK.net" web site.

How will I get DNS to destinguish between the web site and the LAN accross the water?
hope you can advise.
Thanks
Gary.

any suggestions at all will do............
Pleeeeeeeease......

Not that I'm a DNS expert, but my thoughts on fowarding were that the name resolution would only forward to external DNS servers if the name couldn't be resolved internally.

If ping is not resolving internally, you could add an entry for the internal IP of the UK domain so that you can setup the trust. after you have a trust, I would think you could remove the static DNS entry. I'm also wondering if you have dynamic DNS enabled.

Hope this gives you some things to think about.
Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back