Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS best practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono261970

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
GB
Hello,

I have recently set up win2k srv AD and DNS. I have been experiencing some strange events. For example one computer keeps on losing its dynamic IP + DNS and replaces them with another IP and our ISPs DNS. Although the IP is still in our subnet this drastically slows the machine down.

I have noticed that quite a few workstations have the same name as a user account - would this cause a problem?

thanks in advance

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

Has this been going on since day one or has something changed? Are the servers set up with fixed ip's? Ipconfig /all on machines that are good and those that are bad, how do they compare? Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Hi Glen,

This has only just started to happen. We had a bad week a couple of weeks ago with our electricity. We sustained several spikes and deep sags which knocked out our server four times. Luckily it came back up on each occassion. I have since installed a UPS for the server and switch.

I had to change a computer's IP address again this morning. If it happens again I shall just assign a static IP outside of the pool but on the same subnet.

The server does have a static address. Our DHCP pool for clients is from 192.168.1.30 > 192.168.1.60.255.255.255.0.

On bad machines the last octet is always over 100, for example the computer I amended this morning was 192.168.1.105:255.0.0.0.
I choose ipconfig /renew and it assigns a vaild IP and subnet and the computer is just fine.

Strange I know :O)

cheers

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back