Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS behind Linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sappyman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
US
I am a teacher at a small school that is also the network administrator. I do not have the expert knowledge that many of you experts learned before you became admins. Therefore, I am new to DNS. That being said, let me ask a few questions.

First of all, let me describe to you my network situation. I have two severs, both with 2 NIC. Each server has a LAN nic (192.168.1.x) that connects to a switch. Also each server has a WAN (192.168.2.x) that connects to a Linksys
router. Each server is running proxy for internet access. The internet DNS is supplied by ISP and IP address for the linksys router is dynamically assigned by the ISP. ISP assgigned DNS is configured in WAN NIC.

One server has primary functual role. I have about 40 clients on the LAN.

The domain that I have set up is a ".local" domain. With the DNS active-directory integrated zone. There are a number of problems that I am running into.

1.First of all, clients have increased logon times (times of many seconds to minutes). Also once each client is logged on, the client experiences very slow browse times.

2. DNS server receives errors stating that ip address for the root hints is send bad information.

3. DNS severs are unable to query. Tried to query the server in the DNS manager and the tests failed on both server. However, when I disable the WAN nic, the test pass.

What could I be doing wrong to cause these problems?

Randy Kelch, Network Admin
Richmond Academy of Seventh-Day Adventists
3809 Patterson Ave
Richmond, VA 23221

Are you running dhcp? Does ipconfig /all show anything? Has this always been this way, or did it just start. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"It's not what you look at that
matters, it's what you see."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862); US essayist, poet.

Do you have DHCP running on the router? Do you have DHCP running on the server as well?

I am running DHCP on my primary server only. The linksys router is set to static ip for the direct route to each of the servers. Clients have no direct access but through the proxy servers. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back