Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS and Windows 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgifargis

Technical User
Nov 25, 2002
US
Our Company has upgraded our Domain Controllers to 2003 from NT4.0
We are still in mixed mode, now when we look at the Directory there are no computers in the Directory and in the network neighborhood there are some computers and servers not all.
From my extreme switch there are 6 Vlan's configured.
One to the gen public, one to the computer room for gen servers, and others to separate production servers from development servers
I can see some from each not all from all.
Not sure if its a switch problem or DNS
I can ping anyone just cannot see them.
Any insight to whats going on here..?
Or any info that you guys might need for me to explain.

Do you still have any NT boxes on the network that are set up as pdc's? Might cause problems if you do.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Yes I do, in fact I have two NT4.0 boxes still around...
I don;t use them anymore i.e. dhcp wins
Should I take them offline? What difference should it make if I do.?

can you see the pcs if you try and search for them by computer name?

Yes I can only if I place the name in the run window, ping, and get a reply.. I have called Microsoft on the issue and they have me placing all WINS back on the machines and doing a nbtstat -RR but that doesn;t do anything except re-register the DNS entry.

If the nt boxes are set up as pdc's, then the network will get confused. Run dcpromo on the nt boxes and make them bdc's. First, though, take a machine you can't see, and put them in the hosts file of the 2003 machine and see if it shows up. I'm thinking you have multiple issues here.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I did not think you can do a dcpromo on a NT4.0 box...
Host files yes I can see them but I have 100 + servers I don;t want to do that to them all.. and then reboot?
I will call microsoft again to reopen the case and see what they can tell me...
Still open to suggetions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back