Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS and SLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodwins

MIS
Feb 24, 2003
CA
I have had major problems with logins when a WAN link went down for over eight months. I probably read every Novell TID on this subject and still had no success. This journey did open my eyes to some other problems there was the WAN but wasn’t the majority of my concern. I was finding that SLP was configured correctly, but wasn't working the way others and myself thought it should.

We have a wireless WAN supplied by our Provincial Gov which also supplies our DNS. After I have created local DNS server and with our own domain info and then forwarded all other requests to the global GOV DNS servers, it all worked fine???

More that anything, I need to know way SLP needs DNS? Maybe there is a better way to have gotten this to work. I believe it was trying to resolve the TREE name to a IP address, as well as others, because with a copy of ROOT it would login when the WAN link went down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back