Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS and DHCP dependant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toad21

Technical User
May 20, 2002
US
I have SMS running on a NT 4.0 BDC. The DNS and DHCP server that are used for my campus are at a higher level that i cannot access directly from my subnet. Would SMS need to access the DNS and DHCP server in order to install the clients properly? About 15 of 200 machines were detected in our department. Only 4 of those installed as clients. I am guessing that since the SMS server does not have access to the DNS and the DHCP server that it will not work properly. I am probably the only one to ever have this network setup, but if any of you know anything about this I would be greatful.

TT

DHCP is used to discover devices if you have it configured to utilize the DHCP server. Make sure to enter the DHCP server's IP address into the DHCP tab of the Network Discovery properties. Just choosing to use DHCP for discovery alone does not force the SMS server to find the DHCP server.

What OS are the clients, and are you only looking to install clients in your own subnet? Rod Trent
Microsoft.MVP.SMS
=======================================
Main site: =======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back