Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS and AD within prep guide for 70-290

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelVH

IS-IT--Management
Oct 2, 2003
US
When reading the Self-Paced training kit for 70-290 I came upon my first problem already very early in the book.
I have no experience or whatsoever in servermanagment and I'm willing to learn (that's why I'm taking the MCSE exams), BUT

i've got a major issue :p

I've got a server and 2 clients, ofcourse the server has 2003 server and the clients have XP Pro.

When installing Server 2003 I chose for : "setup as typical first sever". So long, so good... Everything went wel and after connecting the clients to the switch, they even got an IP-adres (so the scopes are working :D )

But when I try to join the domain (contoso.com when following the book) it simply won't work. I added the user in the AD aswel as the computer, but when I us nslookup there is no server returned so I thing there might be a problem with my DNS server, but what?

Can anyone help me? thnx !

MichaelVH

Make sure that your DHCP scope has DNS configured to point to your Domain Controller. That way the clients can find it.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back