Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS & Internet Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2002
US
Hi - I am current migrating from NT4 to W2K. I'm using WINS to resolve names, so I'm able to use my isp's DNS number so they can access the Internet. So my stupid question is this: When I switch over to W2K and use an internal DNS server to resolve local names - how will the clients connect to the Internet?

Thank You in Advance.

Patrick To quote Robert De Niro in the movie A Bronx Tale, "there's nothing worse than wasted talent.".

piece of cake...

Tell all your clients to use your local DNS server for their DNS server is TCP/IP properties.

Now, in the DNS server manager, you need to add the forwarders:
Admin Tools|DNS... highlight, and get Properties of the server. Forwarders tab, check the Enable forwarders box, and put the IPs in.

For the forwarders, put your ISPs dns servers. Now when your clients try to go to whatever.com they ask your internal DNS, who in turn forwards the request on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back