Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS/AD config problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexicar

MIS
Jun 13, 2002
US
I have a Win 2000 Server, it's fine.

In the meantime, I am trying to build a new Win 2000 Server with better and faster hardware, it is NOT on the Network (yet). I am building this new Server IDENTICAL to the old one i will blow away when i get this new one up.
I am following ALL the same steps and names i did with the first one.

HERE is the problem:
When I go to config it, it auto-configures, it goes into 'Configuring Active Directory, this process and can take several minutes or considerably longer.......', and then
I get 'Active Directory installation failed: the operation failed with the following error:
The network location cannot be reached'.

It SOUNDS like it is trying to go to another server to get info to configure with, but, this is being built as the only server in the network, and the NIC is not wired yet (to the Switch), but it is installed and the driver is installed.

I have blown away, Fdisked, reformatted about 6 times, I have used 'Workgroup', i have used a domain name, I have yanked the NIC and rebuilt, no matter what i do, i keep getting this error.

I compare what settings i DO get until it chokes with the current Server i have, IP address on the Network connection is 10.10.1.1, subnet is 255.0.0.0, default gateway is blank, the DNS preferred is 127.0.0.1 (loopback) on my good server, i get nothing for DNS on my new one, but the IP and SN addresses are the same.

I am at a loss, as i said, it is acting like it's trying to find a server to get info from, but it is the only server on this network, or at least it will be when it is done....

It's gotta be something simple, any ideas ?

Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

I have had the same problem - all you need to do is connect the server to a switch or a hub - if it is not connected to anything it throws that error message.

Got me lost for a while myself!!
I just connected the server to a 4 port switch then it worked fine. It don't need to have anything else on the other 3 ports.

Or it might not be liking the loop back address as the DNS server. I'd try connecting it to a hub as madman070578 said, then using 10.10.1.1 as the DNS server also. Darrell Mozingo
MCP (soon MCSA), A+, Network+, i-Net+, MOUS 2000 Master

madman and mozingod is probably pointing you in the right direction. AD relies heavily on DNS, so if you haven't configured dns yet, it might be causing your problem. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"The surest way to be deceived is to consider oneself cleverer than others."
François, Duc de La Rochefoucauld (1613-80); French writer

Hi,
We had the same problem, just connect it to a empty hub, dont connect it to another network!.

I plugged it into an old switch i am not using, and whoalla !! it worked !!

I sure don't remember doing this with the first server i built, but doing this fixed it for this one.

Whoda thunk you would have to plug into a piece of hardware, when you are not even 'there' yet.............

Where do i send the $250.00 check ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back