Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNA Server 4 - Domain Controller ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2002
HU
Hi All,

Please help with the prolem below:
I have DNA 4 server and OWS connected to this through LAN.
Unfortunately the OWS can access DNA Server, only in case of DNA server is a domain controller. That´s why these machines are in separate domain, than the normal domain.
Local Damovo has set it up this way several years ago, but I want to stop this situation
Do you have any ideas regarding it?

Thank you

As fare as I know. Only contact you need is IP. If it’s possible to ping the server i t should be enough.

DNA need a lot more that IP to work. The hole application suite is built on the security on a NT-Domain or an Active Directory (AD). If a DNA-client (eg OWS, DMG, EMG) is to work it have to be in the same domain as the DNA-server. If you haven´t got a domain or an AD (this is normal in small companies), you have to share a directory from the DNA-server and connect to that shared directory from the DNA-client. You can also create a useraccount on the DNA-server that is exactly the same as the DNA-client will use. For example create a local account on the DNA-server "DNAUSER" with password "1234". Then you have to create the same local account on the DNA-client, username "DNAUSER" with password "1234".
All this is basically normal NT/Win2k knowledge on how security works in WinNT/Win2k/XP.

Good Luck

NANSI

Hi,

You do not need a domain to run D.N.A. and really I would never put the D.N.A server on a domain controller. As said above the only thing you need is the possibility to share a folder on one of the PC's and connect to it from another (aka support for Named Pipes)

However, it is nice to have a domain since then it is a lot easier to setup shares and permissions on these. But use different computers for PDC / DC and DNA_S.

/mk

Also regarding "If a DNA-client (eg OWS, DMG, EMG) is to work it have to be in the same domain as the DNA-server" ,
You can also have two domains but need then mutual trust between the domains.

I certainly also agree that DNA server SHALL NOT be put on the PDC .

ExtensionManager.

If you wish to have your DNA in the same domain as the rest of your network you will need to reinstall windows on the server and make it a member server. DNA will then have to be reinstalled.
The clients should be simple, just put them into the domain you want.

What market are you in?
In the Uk Damovo often put the DNA into its own domain but this is at the customers request, we would not insist that it is installed that way.

here's my 2 cents worth...

Ericsson never used to support DNA client and servers in different domains. (Since DNA 3 in my local market.)

You don't need shared directories you can use IPC$ connection via a Net use batch file. eg net use \\machine name\ipc$ password user:username. (where the username and password have sufficent rights on the server) in a batch file placed in the users "winnt\profiles\username\startmenu\programs\startup"
(for more info type net use? at the command prompt.)

DNA resolves machine names by WINS and comunicates with named pipes to SQL both of which will work OK with an IPC$ type connection.(to the best of my knowledge.)Your problem maybe to do with how the clients are trying to resolve the name of the DNA server. what happens if you try to ping \\dnaservername from client machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back