Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMZ HOw to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeldvn

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
IL
Hi Guys,

I am not that expererience with Firewall, I have lots of experience with most networks so i get by.

we have PDS 2110 and firewall 4.1 SP5.

The company never had much need for VPN or DMZ they only had one machine to the out side without the protection of the firewall, also cause I didn't know or had the time to mess with it.

after a while I started to discover all kind of thing and I
managed to some how to get the VPN and the DMZ to wORK.

To make the story short I got one of the machines to work through the DMZ, meaning using the IP of the FIrewall to get out, I was impressed but I didn't know if all the rules in the policy apply to the DMZ machine as well?
or do I have to start appliying new rules seperetly to that specific machine.

P.S. there is no seperate network for the DMZ alonger story,

Joel

Don't quite understand! Where is the DMZ if it's not on a separate network?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Hi joel,
from what you've cited, I can understand that you have an ordinary DMZ which means that your DMZ lies on an interface of your firewall, so when you apply the checkpoint policy it will be applied on all interfaces.
All the rules that are in the policy will apply to the machine in the DMZ, but this machine won't be concerned by all these rules (except the rules you specified for that machine) because it has a specific IP address and rules are matched by IP addresses first.
P.S: Watch out the anti spoofing if it's applied or not on your firewall and make the correct anti spoofing configuration on the new interface (the DMZ).
Hicham Tfaily

"P.S. there is no seperate network for the DMZ"

If the DMZ is on another interface then it's on a seperate network (to the main network on the inside interface).

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chris@iproute.co.uk

If there is no separate network for the DMZ, so it's not a DMZ!
Hicham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back